Monday, November 19

Anybody Want to Sue a Law School?

I'm going to go ahead and assume most everybody reading this either went to law school or works with a bunch of people who did, and the idea that they should be punished for something has probably crossed your mind at least once or twice, right? Admit it.



Well, here's your chance, via Craigslist:

Counsel sought: employ discrim. case against major university
Reply to: [redacted]
Date: 2007-11-11, 3:46PM

I am a law professor who was aggressively recruited by a law school in Chicago for my expertise and to serve a particular program in my area of expertise. The pre-screening was extensive: I was flown in, did a full day interview with a presentation, and my scholarship was reviewed.

Whistles whetted? I'm sure I don't need to tell you the prof. didn't get the job.

One more thing before you click the jump... if you have any specifics about this purposefully vague craigslist post, please do not put them in the comments. We would like to actually become attorneys without being sued for slander or libel or any number of other things that we would have to tell the Character and Fitness folks about. If you just have to get it out, email us.

The job, according to the unnamed candidate at the unnamed law school, went to a minority "nine years out of law school with no publication or teaching experience, and who had not distinguished himself academically while at law school." Well. I never.

The Masked Educator had apparently run the program for a year and did, in fact, distinguish him/herself academically while at law school. Also, according to the prof.:


[T]he law school had major internal issues and actually drove away minority faculty in the year or so preceding my visit, thereby creating their diversity problem. I am told that one person brought a legal action and received a settlement. I can identify the faculty at issue.

So the prof. is seeking representation, preferably on a contingency basis, for a discrimination suit because his/her "productivity fell dramatically," is "no longer in a position to visit at other law schools unless [they] want to explain why [they were] denied a position by this other law school," and their "market appeal has fallen."

Market appeal. Must be nice. Most importantly (to me, not them): "I am not attending professional gatherings in the field to avoid explaining the situation and embarrassment." We've been to those get-togethers. If that gets put in the case, it should really mitigate those damages.

Man. If anyone takes this case, I'm seeing some major drama here in the Chi. We'll keep our eyes peeled. Any tips, EMAIL US. As stated, comments = liability = very short legal careers for the CE staff.